Saturday, October 16, 2010

Grocery Stores,Food and Skype

So before I chat about one of my favorite places the gocery store..just wanted to give you all an update.  Skype has quit working here in the UAE.  I have talked to many friends who are experiencing the same problems we have had.  You can connect and then you get dropped.  It is so frustrating!  We are hearing that Dubai is trying to come out with their own Arab version of Skype and that is why they are cracking down on we illegal users!  It is illegal to download it here in Dubai.  We had it before we came and it has always worked great.  I am getting advice on what to do about it and will keep you, especially my family updated!  I miss seeing you all!  It is probably the reason I feel so stressed lately!  I know that this is just a little bump in the Dubai road and it will all work out.  Things here don't always work that great.  For example our cable went out for about 2 weeks.  After spending some time on the phone this evening with a very hard-to-understand technician it is back on.  I am currently watching my favorite show Glee as we speak..Last season..but like I said..this is Dubai!  Now..ON TO SOME FOOD TALK!
So many of you have asked me about the grocery stores here so I thought I would do a little post about it.  The grocery stores here are pretty good!  I can eventually always find what I need!  The trick is you might have to go to more than one place to get it.  There are funny-named stores like Spinneys, Choitram, Park and Shop, Waitrose and Carrefour..the Arab Wal-Mart.   Some of the differences of stores here are of course the evil pork room in the back where you find the evil hot dogs and bacon! hahaha...Also when you buy produce you have to take it to a little stand and have it weighed and bagged.  They don't do it at the register like at home.   This has become my kids job.  They fight over who gets to weigh the bananas.  The bread is baked fresh daily and does not last very long.  I miss my Sara Lee and Pepperidge Farm!  I am  now addicted to this arabic pita-like bread that they bake fresh daily and tastes like heaven!   I love finding the bag that is still warm!  I do feel like I go to the store almost everyday!  The last probably most significant difference is the lack of alcohol!  No wine and beer section here-  That takes a special trip to the "Barracuda"..The arab beer store.  It is way out in the desert hidden by a mirage.  Hahahaha-  Deric is in charge of that trip and when he goes he stocks up! Mama needs her red wine!  Here are some pictures of a grocery experience!
Oh No!  Pork!  
That would be us...

One of our favorite sections! The Old El Paso products!
What we came home with.  This small amount costs $418 dirham.  That is equal
to about $112.  Not alot for that!  
1
This pile was exciting because I found Triscuits, frozen waffles and pinto beans..The
Triscuits cost $6 a box!  They are really hard to find!
Diet Coke is Coca-Cola Light.  It is not quite the same!
Coming soon!  Woo-Hooo! Of course to a mall! 
Pizza here comes with ketchup...We have yet to figure this out!

No we don't eat camels- Deric ran into this fellow on the way
to the desert liquor store!



No comments:

Post a Comment