Friday, January 7, 2011

Global Village






Before we left for Christmas Deric and I took the kids on a big adventure to a place called Global Village.  I would describe Global Village as an Arabian flea market.  It is only open for a few months a year and even has carnival rides.  Vendors from different countries set up HUGE pavilions that represent their country and sell their wares.  For example, you could walk into "Egypt" and find any size golden pharaoh head you could imagine.  You could visit "Africa" and come out with a nice carved mask.  This was the most cultural experience I think I have had in Dubai!!!  We were definitely the odd men out.  Global Village is one of the places here that people say you have to see.  We saw it.  Check.


Dad buying our tickets.


These beautiful shoes are handmade in Pakistan.  The girls and I
were on a mission to find some we liked that FIT!

The ferris wheel...Ug.  Get me off!
Too high and kept stopping.
Even in Arabia they love Spongebob.
This pavilion was India.
Daddy getting cash...one of my favorite shots.
Only rode this ride..after Deric made the call no more rides...
Questionable safety...



Look at the little family beside us...The little girls were 
so beautifully dressed..Something I love about being here is 
showing our kids that we are all really alike even though we 
may look different-They are a family like us just out for some fun-
View from the ferris wheel...At first glance you might think you
were at the rodeo in Houston....then look closer at the people!
No cowboy hats here!

Mom's new shoes!

Outside the African pavilion...
After much bargaining by Dad the girls went home
with these!
We're outta here!  It was quite an experience!
Like I said, we can check that box!


1 comment:

  1. I love the opportunity of teaching your kids life lessons that we are all the same even though we look different!
    Sonia

    ReplyDelete