Saturday, February 19, 2011

Six Months in the Sand


I have been wanting to commemorate our 6 month anniversary here for some time.  I am a little behind of course!  January 26 was the 6 month anniversary of the the day we left Texas and became expatriates or "expats".  It was 6 months ago that we became SixintheSand!  Little did I know how well I had titled our blog!!  We have been stuck in the sand, survived a crazy sandstorm and have countlessly poured sand from our shoes!!!!  We truly are SixintheSand!
The day we left....


I found this definition of an "expat".  I had never heard the word until I became one!
An expatriate (in abbreviated form, expat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country and culture other than that of the person's upbringing or legal residence. 
Ha! Ha!  To say the least!!! They say it takes a good 6 months to get adjusted to a new place especially as an expat.  Everyone you meet here says "Give it 6 months!"  So 6 months have come and gone and you might wonder "are we adjusted?"  I would say we are definitely getting there!  I can confidently say that I know my way around Dubai and have even given new friends here directions to places!  Do I like driving here yet? NO NEVER!  Do I love and adore Dubai yet?  NO-  Do I detest and hate Dubai? NO I am somewhere in the middle.  I love my friends here!  I love my new villa I am about to move in to!  I love our travels!  I love my kid's teachers!  I love our new school and all my kids are learning about their world. I love seeing things that I might have never seen.  Things like this:
Or this:
In 6 months so much has changed!  Deric got a promotion and is now the General Manager for the entire Middle East and part of Asia.  For those of you who don't know Deric has been with Nalco for 16 years!  He has been spending the past year traveling the globe and seeing amazing things.  He spends lots of time in Saudia Arabia and India.  He has been to Italy, China, Brazil, and Singapore. We miss him when he is gone and are so happy when he returns!








Change of job, change of villa, change of school location and school SIZE.....none of it can compare to the change in this little person:
I would say she is the person who has changed the most since we got here 6 months ago!  She came here a little 10 month baby who was not walking!
Now she is a little monkey with tons of hair who is all over the place!  Climbing onto counter tops, splashing in toilets, talking non-stop, this kid has become a real little person with a HUGE personality!  She keeps us constantly entertained!  Lilly loves to go to school with me and play on the big playground. Lilly and I are in a class now called Boogie Babies that she loves! I take her there weekly wondering how once again I am finding myself playing with a baby and a parachute! hahahaha- Lilly is learning all our names and her current favorite one to shout is "Lou! Lou!" for Luke!  Beware: too many pictures of Lilly below!  Couldn't decide which one!



Loves baby dolls!
Is loving Baby Einstein shows..yeah!
MONKEY ALERT!



Hmmmmm?  That hair looks great for pulling!



Crashed headfirst off the swing onto
the slate patio floor- Olivia was in charge -whoops



I know these people..where did they go?

No occasion..she just wanted the hat
A yogurt drink and a straw are an activity-







mad face...I see this alot!


So I close this post with a request for some prayers!  This is our move week and Deric is working in the states.  He may be the General Manager of the Middle East and Asia but I am the General Manager of the Bryant 6 and I am moving our operations!  I am very excited to get our team moved over to Villa 9.  The packers come February 26 and we will be in February 27.  Deric comes home March 1 and I will have the house all set up...HAHAHAHAHA....The kids and I have been spending our evenings at our new park in Jumeirah Islands.  It is an amazing park with an amazing view of the skyline!  
See the fun below!  Cheers from Dubai!




This is the favorite at the park...It spins as you walk-pretty cool!


1 comment:

  1. Hooray for 6 months, all the fun you are having and the future villa!!! The move will be fine, and I imagine that you will have everything set up by the time D gets home, it's the OCD decorator in you! We all have it :) Keep smiling! Love you!

    ReplyDelete